Saturday 13 December 2014

Is 'Naya' Pakistan Possible With 'Purana' Mindsets?

It was almost 1:30pm, and I was idling at the Seasons’ Chowk Lahore, waiting for the signal to turn green so that I could pick my mom up from P.U., when I noticed a transgender beggar asking the car driver in front of me for money. I started to look away, knowing this was a common sight on the roads of Pakistan, when I saw the driver snatch the beggar’s “dupatta”. Now that was something I’ve never seen before. However, before my mind could process it all, the driver got out, and in quick succession, slapped the beggar and delivered a hard kick to the groin. After that, all that happened is a blur, but I do remember being the only person who got out (or off) his vehicle to break the fight. The driver took off as soon as I freed the beggar’s hair from his fists, and left the poor victim to sink on the floor and sob while a crowd looked on.

If you were expecting something more dramatic, dear reader, then I’m sorry to have disappointed you, for I’m only hoping to shed some light on how apathetic we’ve become. We began as a nation which stuck to its roots, and now we’ve become a bunch of people who, in order to show our ‘modern’ spirit, and bent upon defying everything our culture and religion expects from us. We term our culture suffocating, but what has following others brought us besides a (now embedded) inferiority complex?

The dilemma, my fellow countrymen, is that on one hand, we scream for change. We highlight the irregularities in our governing bodies and vehemently demand a ‘naya Pakistan’, and on the other hand, we turn to zombies whenever we face the mirror of our conscience that demands we change ourselves first. We, my dear readers, have become the epitome of hypocrisy. Take me, for example. Here I am, preaching about the faults in our character, but come tomorrow, I’ll be out on the roads, violating traffic signals just to show my friends how cool I am.

“Why write this article then?”, some of you might ask. A fair question, but then again, the only thing we are good at these days, is raising questions. So while you’re at it, go ahead and ask yourself something too. Ask yourself if your life exists beyond your favourite food and shopping haunts. Ask yourself if your sympathies are aroused for anyone other than your immediate family or friends. Ask yourself if your money has ever found a way out of your pocket for any cause which had nothing to offer you in return (except maybe prayers). And when that familiar face in the mirror answers you in negative for all these queries, don’t despair. Do not try, in vain, to search your conscience amidst the debris you have accumulated inside yourself. Do not attempt to wipe the ego off your eyes, for the world beyond is very bleak. Do not pluck out the weeds of hatred and self-righteousness from your heart, for my dear reader, you are not alone. You are surrounded by a country full of people just like yourself. Accept your destiny, and let the country run. Follow the footsteps of that old man who stepped out of his car only when I had stopped his driver (presumably his son) from beating and abusing a defenceless transgender. Be like him: obnoxious and haughty, untouched by any worldly law as he drove away after that heinous deed. Be the same, because to be different is to be condemned by the society. But if you feel a stirring inside you, a hand of hope reaching for the light, don’t crush it. Nurture and guide it, for if we want this country to be a place worth living in, we have to be the change we want to see around us.


And this, my faithful reader, is where you laugh inwardly at my optimism and open your Facebook to plan the next holiday with your friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment