Monday 15 December 2014

Hanging Out With My Hyde

"I don't do friendships anymore", he scoffed as he sat back and sipped his milkshake. I tried to hide my aversion as I asked him why.
"You know all about me, so I don't have to recount everything I've faced. In fact you've faced it too, but have been too coward to do anything about it. So I decided to act by taking over". Here came another sip of the milkshake, and suddenly my very own Mr. Hyde smiled at me, sending a shiver down my spine.
"For years, I watched on, while you brought us both hurt and disappointment. You trusted everyone, even when you knew deep inside that they'll betray you. You always kept you word even if it meant being on the losing end. When you cared, you gave all you had; when you loved, you failed to see their dark side; when you befriended, you refused to hear anything negative, even when you saw the proofs of their inner darkness. You, Master Aech, have overlooked the truths of life while you held fast to you juvenile belief that everything is either black or white, and with that, you ignored the acres of grey areas that lay in between, simply choosing to ignore them. Not everyone keeps others' best interests at heart, my boy, and since you haven't done anything about it, so I'll step in to show you how to do it". The wicked gleam in his eyes terrified me, but I managed to stammer: "Wh- what have you planned?"
"Oh, don't worry", he chuckled. "I have sentiments too. Things will be pretty much same with me in charge".
"Then what will change?", the question burst from my mouth before I could think it through. However, my Hyde just laughed. "Well, I told you I don't do friendships. We have been betrayed too many times to trust this sentiment. Granted, we have found some pretty cool friends on the way, but how can we believe that they won't hurt us eventually? No, its too big of a risk." Another long sip of milkshake before he resumed. "Alliances, are what I have in mind. They work like friendships mostly, but whenever we'll feel that things are looking down, we'll simply move on instead of sticking around to help. And..."
"That's horrible!", I yelled, not believing it was actually a part of me saying all this. "We can't be like that, no matter what anyone else does!"
"Nonsense, Jekyll. Its karma: we'll pay the world back in the same currency it has been dealing us all these years. We'll show them what it means to have your hope extinguished just when you need it the most. We'll start tomorrow, when you're up. Now go, and rest."
And with that, he got up and calmly strode off, leaving me to wonder what the future will be like...

No comments:

Post a Comment