Saturday 26 July 2014

The Road to My Heart

You're one brave visitor if you dare walk;
Down the road leading to my heart

The journey is not too long, I believe;
But instead of the milestone, is a gnarled tree

The path is treacherous, your shoes might not last;
'Cos strewn here and there, are dreams from the past

Have a look if you want, at these rubies and sapphires;
Of longings and regrets, of hopes and desires

Do you like their shiny facets, their glimmer of a bright future?
But you can't feel their sadness, unless you hold them closer

Be careful with the shards, of diamonds and opals;
Relics from the past, as far as I recall

Keep walking on the path, its not a long march;
My heart is right there, the façade with wide arch

The courtyard is mossy, and the pillars wrapped with vines;
The threshold is dusty, covered in layers of grime

The doorknob, though rusty, will still work fine;
Though the chiming clock in foyer tells the wrong time

It seems desolate, but please excuse its state;
It hasn't had a worthy visitor of late

I know you're wound up, you need a place to rest;
Take master room of mansion, it is by far the best

But o, fair visitor, if you intend to stay;
There's urgent work to do, can't wait for a rainy day

Clean all that past has left, purge this shrine of love;
Polish the chandeliers, that hang high above

You'll have new furniture, beds with solid bottom;
Covered with finest sheets of Egyptian cotton

The sofas will be leather, the divan comfortable;
And cutlery of gold, straight from a fable

No more sputtering torches, no gloomy hallways;
The mansion shall be lit, through all nights and days

The garden is parched, but there's a well under my eye;
Use all the tears on roses, nevermore I want to cry

Don't leave my dreams alone, pick them and be gentle;
Bring them inside my heart, and put them on the mantle

See, now you have a home, a place to call yours;
Where joy is in the roots, and above, love soars

Here you will be cherished, here I will watch you over;
You'll live like a princess, in the heart of your lover

No comments:

Post a Comment